14 de janeiro de 2014

Artigo recomendado: Medical Error - The Personal Cost

Alison S. Clay

AnnalsATS Volume 10 Number 6 - December 2013

In July 2005, Dr. Alison Clay was treated for an acute systemic reaction to a bee sting at the medical center where she worked. The encounter was not routine, shaking Alison’s confidence in hospital medicine and causing her to question the very health care system that had trained her.

On a beautiful summer day the July after I finished my fellowship, I prepared for an inaugural ride on a new bike. The bike was a gift to myself to celebrate the end of my formal training in pulmonary and critical care medicine. The sky was clear, a deep “Carolina” blue. There was no wind to warn of a change in weather, no premonition of just how ugly this beautiful day might become.

Then, a seemingly insignificant event: a slight irritation on my left toe and a tiny honeybee stuck to my sock. I had no allergy to bees. My breathing was fine. But as the erythema crept up my foot and past my ankle, I grudgingly drove to the emergency department. I parked my car in the deck across the street and started to walk. The entrance to the emergency department felt like it was miles away. I vomited profusely, and sweat dripped down my brow. Despite my “training,” I had underestimated the situation...

Caso queira, deixe seu e-mail nos comentários abaixo desta postagem ou solicite pelo e-mail anestesiasegura@sma.com.br e lhe enviaremos o artigo completo.

Nenhum comentário:

Pesquisar neste blog

Ocorreu um erro neste gadget